This is by far the most efficient and fastest way that you can upgrade your wordpress to a newer version. It involves only installing a plugin, and the plugin does all the rest.
I have to give two thumbs up for
WordPress Automatic Upgrade plugin I had another blog which was left to rot with WordPress 2.2.2 and couldn’t really find the time to upgrade it to WordPress 2.3.1, until wordpress automatic upgrade came to the rescue.
Here is what the plugin does:
1. Backs up the files and makes available a link to download it.
2. Backs up the database and makes available a link to download it.
3. Downloads the latest files from http://wordpress.org/latest.zip and unzips it.
4. Puts the site in maintenance mode.
5. De-activates all active plugins and remembers it.
6. Upgrades wordpress files.
7. Gives you a link that will open in a new window to upgrade installation.
8. Re-activates the plugins.
It follows standard recommnded wordpress upgrade procedures and I had no problems using it. Man, it’s even easier than my previous post easier way to upgrade wordpress
It’s really a no brainer. Save yourself time and pain. Download and use it.
Wordpress can now update its core easily by just going to Wp Admin Dashboard> Tools > Upgrade