Here are the steps you can take to fix the 80048820 error which gives you an error message of “Sorry, we are unable to sign you into the .NET Messenger service at this time. Please try again later” when you try logging into MSN Live Messenger.
80048820 Error Possible causes
– Firewall settings are blocking MSN Messenger.
– MSN Messenger proxy settings are incorrect.
– Security settings are blocking MSN Messenger.
– Your date and time settings may be incorrect.
– Files that are required to make a successful Internet connection are corrupted.
80048820 Error Solution
1) check that the computer’s clock to the correct date and time.
2) Launch Internet Explorer and goto Tools > Internet Options > Connection Tab > LAN Setting. Uncheck the Use a proxy server for your LAN checkbox (these settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections). Tick the checkbox ‘Automatically detect settings’.
3) Register softpub.dll.
Shut down Live Messenger. Click on Windows Start Button, and then click Run, type regsvr32 softpub.dll. Restart Live Messenger.
4) Turn off firewalls temporarily (AVG, Kaspersky, Norton antiviurs or internet security suites) and and make sure that MSN Live Messenger is in your “windows firewall” exception list. You can check the exception list in Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Exceptions.